Last week, the government announced plans to introduce tougher laws to those who use their phones while at the wheel in the UK.
Drivers will now face a £200 fine if caught once, along with double points (6) on their license for dangerous driving. Those who are caught more than once will face a further £1,000 fine and a six month driving ban.
Those who passed their test less than 2 years ago, and thus can only loose a maximum of 6 points, will face an immediate driving ban if caught once with a phone in their hands while on the roads.
RAC released a survey earlier this month which suggested that almost a third of motorists use a mobile phone while driving.
“It may seem harmless when you are replying to a text, answering a call or using an app, but the truth is your actions could kill and cause untold misery to others” Chris Grayling, Transport Secretary, told the BBC.
According to the Telegraph, government figures show that in 2014, distractions by a mobile phone were a contributing factor in 492 accidents in Britain.
— Stop the Texts (@StoptheTexts) August 26, 2016
The call for higher sanctions comes after a number of high profile cases, such as the death of Laura Thomas, 20, who was knocked down after a lorry driver, who was browsing pornography on his phone, hit her broken-down car on the M5 back in 2013. As well as14 year-old Liberty Baker was ploughed into on the street as a 19 year-old driver allegedly checked is text messages.
Currently, drivers caught on their phones face a £100 fine and 3 points on their licence, but Pete Williams, a spokesperson for the RAC told the Daily Mail that “Toughening the fine and the penalty points will help to deter people from doing it in the first place.”
These higher sanctions are expected to come into place in the first half of 2017.
It’s time to leave Tinder at home.