The dissertation is due, you haven’t washed your hair in 5 days, and biscuits have become your staple diet.
1. When you tell a family member your title and they tell you a few facts that they think you aren’t aware of
Yes, Aunt Susan, I know that the British won the Second World War, that’s what my dissertation is about…
2. When family members still expect you to have all the time in the world
You want me to come a family meal? I’ve been living on coffees for the past five days and don’t even have time to shower mother!
3. When you constantly wonder whether your argument actually makes any sense
I mean, I thought it was a good idea a few months ago?
4. When you achieve nothing in your dissertation meetings
You came, you listened, you forgot it all.
5. When you wonder why your tutor thinks that you have 40 hours in your day
Seriously, you’ve found a book and you want me to read it in two days?
6. When you experience a few breakdowns and doubt everything that you have done so far
It’s fine, it usually goes the next day.
7. When you realise that a dissertation is just a really long essay
Just split it into three and it’s not that bad!
8. When you get into heated debates because someone brings up your dissertation topic over dinner
I am ready to fight you if I must.
9. When you actually become one with the library
You have your favourite seat, your favourite coffee and you always have the best snacks, yet you always moan about it to friends and family.
10. When you finally hand it in!
There’s no feeling like it.